Friday 30 October 2015

Math Fun With Our Collections

The kids were asking for a day to bring in their Shopkins.  The boys got on
 board and thought it would be fun to be able to use their Pokemon cards or
 Hockey cards in the classroom too.  So, we began to plan our special day.
The children used their 'toys' to meet curriculum expectations...I'm not
sure they even realized they were learning and practising their math skills.  

They were asked to organize their collection any way they liked in order
to count the items in their collection easily.  They made an estimate 
first and then began to organize.

Some students organized their items into groups of 2...


...others made groups of 10...




...'it's easier if I make piles'...

"I have 2 groups of 10 and 4 left over...I have 24!"


"I made groups of 10 too!"







"How should we organize?"


"There's 19 cards on a page...if I add one more to each 
page there would be 20...that's easier to count by."






"He has 252 Hockey Cards!"


They worked so hard and had fun too!






No comments:

Post a Comment